Sunday, February 10, 2013

three!

Our sweet Tom turned 3 today! Poor thing was sick and stayed home from church with Dad, but he felt well enough to celebrate with just us 4.
He chose fruity pebbles for his bday breakfast.

He got a floor mat and a train puzzle.

When we asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he said "a brown cake".  I had entertained the idea of doing a Cars cake, but then I searched "Cars cake" on Pinterest and was so overwhelmed with elaborate decor and food coloring galore (for real! search it yourself and see.  such a headache.) that I scratched it and did a simple "brown" one like he requested. 
The problem with having a family party is having so much cake in the house afterward.  I froze half of it but that doesn't mean I won't dig into it tomorrow.  Ha!  That reminds me of a joke I read where the wife ate all the leftover cake (which was half a cake) and she was so ashamed that she baked another and ate half of it before her husband came home so he wouldn't know what a pig she was.  I wouldn't go that far, but I have been known to eat more than my fair share of baked goods.  So here's my thing with them.  I'm addicted, we all know.  But when I'm pregnant (everyone thinks my belly is so cute.  what's another cookie or 6?) or nursing (my pants are sagging off me as it is...I need more calories) it's hard to find a reason not to eat treats.  As I type this I can feel you (Cindy) judging me through the computer.  Not that you're judgy, but you could name 100 reasons to eat kale instead of cake (hey...you could write a book called that) and are probably appalled by my behavior :)  ANYway, this post was supposed to be about Tom and not my eating habits so I'll save that for another day.  Perhaps I'll consider going treat free for a while to get myself back on track.  Anyone want to do it with me? 
 Here are a few fun facts about the birthday boy lately:
  • He's really into capes and runs around saying he's Superthomas and puts G's bib on her backwards so she can be Supergrayce (his idea!).
  • He loves church, especially nursery, and is such a good boy during sacrament meeting.
  • His favorite books are The Napping House and The Little Engine That Could.  When I don't do the proper sound effects or if I try to abbreviate (there are waay too many words in that train book for my liking) he says, "say more fings!". 
  •  He LOVES Grayce and is always all up in her business.  Here we are modeling her new sweater/dress for Grandma.  It's a dress but when I first got it I thought it was just a long sweater so that's why she's got jeggings on. 

  •  He's obsessed with puzzles.
  • He's a very helpful big brother :) 
  • He has been potty trained since September and was doing great until recently...he wets the bed almost every night now.  TMI, sorry.  
  • A favorite quote:  (after getting scolded for pushing Grayce over...she was laying on her back deciding whether or not to cry)  "She wants to wie down and wook at the sky."

8 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Tom doing a puzzle with his cape on! So cute. And I totally hear ya with the sweets thing! I have the biggest sweet tooth known to man. Ask Josh :) Luckily nursing helps me get away with it, (well, kind of. I don't look as great as you, but somehow I'm not blimping up from it) but I need to cut back or else I'll be in trouble when I stop nursing in 5 months! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love him and I love your cake story! I could probably do something like that joke. Anytime I bake something I make Nate take the leftovers to work or I will eat them all and blame it on the kids! But Nate and I both know the truth. Baked goods in the house are bad news for me. No judging from me. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a blog title like "three!" I thought you might be announcing something :) Haha, silly me. I love the cake story thought. It's so fun to see so many pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Happy Birthday Tommy boy! We love and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, what a cutie. I miss you guys. Oh, and sorry but there's no way I'm doing no treats with you again! Remember when we gave up treats for lent, and I almost died? I vowed I would never do that again:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was laughing so hard when I read this. For the record, I am just as susceptible to baked goods...that's why I have to buy kale and not stuff I can bake :) I even won a cake eating contest in high school against a bunch of football players. I can put it away. And I hear ya on the preggo/nursing thing. I have to remind myself I can get calories other (healthier) places. We should write the book together while we do no treats for Lent so we have something to think about other than looking in the cupboard for chocolate chips ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am dying over the last quote he said about pushing her over! hahaha hes hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect brown cake! I miss them both.

    ReplyDelete